I finally got to catch the tape today of the Dynamo game against NE prior to the Dynamo Power Hour tonite.
Here are some of my thoughts and I would love to hear yours as well.
1. The Dynamo were clearly the aggressors, had the better possession, yet still struggled in the last third of the field.
2. NE scored on their first significant attack in the 9th minute through Shalrie Joseoph with their only shot on goal. The Dynamo continue the disturbing trend of not getting the games first goal. With that goal tactical advantage NE.
3. Joseoph Ngwenya could have made a big splash by producing goals in his first two starts but he must be given time, it has only been two games. He is not a prolific goal scorer in MLS, had only five last year on a poor Columbus team but hopefully his pace will lead to more space for others and forcing opponents to defend somewhat deeper given the Dynamo midfield more space.
4. Did NE even play?
5. There is an over-dependence on Brian Ching and Dwayne DeRosario, can someone else provide the timely goal? Ricardo Clarke? Brad Davis? Brian Mullan?
6. With Davis coming central alot width is lost on the left and now the attacking play of Brian Mullan becomes magnified on the right providing delivery and penetration.
7. The Dynamo were hesistant, not sharp, not decisive and lacked the final pass or a quality first touch in attacking third and the penalty area. Did they have enough ideas ? They did not test Matt Reis on this day.
8. Long range shooting is not prevalent in MLS as much as it should be and with the Dynamo. This element needs to be added in order to pull defenses out.
9. The ball needs to moved forwards quicker off the backs in order to catch opponents positionally and to give midfielders the ball with more space.
10. Cory Ashe surprised NE off the bench with pace, could be a good late game attacking option.
11. MLS referee’s last year you were given the mandate from Joe Machnik and the head of referee’s for MLS to stop persistent fouling by issue cards efficiently to those guility of this game breaking tactic. Too many games are being dominated by persistent fouling. One wonders if they have forgotten?
12. As defending champions the target is on the Dynamo’s backs, they are not conceding goals which is positive, they are providing the ethic and clearly were the better team against NE.
Clearly MLS is a better league with improved teams and now increased pressure.
Give me your thoughts….. ……….. Glenn Davis