Not having broadcast duties for the Dynamo /Pachuca game I had the opportunity to enjoy the game from the stands. Here are ten random things that come to mind.
1. Pachuca grossly underestimated the Houston Dynamo, some might call it a lack of respect. As bad as the Dynamo were in the first half they were better in the second. Most who know the character of this team knew they were not going anywhere but up in the second half. Pachuca obviously didn’t get this.
2. Just to put the amount of resources available for players in perspective. Pachuca second half subs were Juan Carlos Cacho, Damian Alvarez, and Gabriel Caballero. Nothing to sneeze at here. All three are top Mexican league players.
3. Pachuca clearly came unwound in the second half, it was interesting to see them lose emotional control, focus on hitting, grabbing, and clutching people (Mosquera, Pinto to name a few). It was almost comical to watch Brian Ching emotionless walk away from Acquivaldo Mosquera who was so ‘wound up’ that he was fouling Ching 50 yards away from goal.
Some clear tendencies are here that are similar to the U.S. and Mexico rivalry internationally.
Lets just call the emotional loss of control “a sign of respect’ from Pachuca.
4. Plays! The Dynamo made them Pachuca didn’t. Zach Wells with a huge first half save on Landin, Ching header off Waibel cross, Waibel heading off the line, missed chances from Andres Chitiva, three man move with DeRosario, Brad Davis and Chris Wondoloski getting the key goal. One of my favorites was when Brian Mullan gave a poor ball away to Pachuca he immediately chanced a laid a beautifully timed tackle in on Christian Gimenez. The tackle was pure timing, skill, and desire. Gimenez was left in a crumpled mess trying to figure out what hit him. Brad Davis gave us great moments in the technical department rivaling anything that Pachuca produced. Ricardo Clark after a miserable first half turned it around. I could go on.
5. Dynamo fans are knowledgable, passionate, and are learning the art of gamesmanship. Bringing a true home field edge.
I loved the fan who had the ball behind the goal in the second half and made Miguel Calero in goal for Pachuca come and get it.
Dynamo fans 1 Pachuca 0. I love seeing young kids commentating on the game, discussing it, demanding more from the Dynamo and celebrating with them. TA/EB led the way over 90 plus minutes of relentless non-stop cheering. They helped the Dynamo through the tough times. You are a part of the growth of the game in this country. Awesome!
6. Now I know what you are talking about. Concessions are pathetically slow, attendants are not knowledgable enough and UH where are you? Pretty sad and this stuff can cost a franchise fans. Why no kiosks selling water and drinks around the stadium.
The wait in line in the second half forced me to miss begining of second half while workers in the concession stand warned fans ‘don’t rush me’. Moral of the story….hydrate before entering Robertson.
7. Spanish language television commentators that I heard led with the loss being because of poor officiating. With the amount of chances Pachuca missed or didn’t take advantage of ….well one might think a little accountability in order here.
8.Kinnear vs Meza…….Kinnear wins the coaching duel between himself and a Mexican coaching legend who in the second half may have been questioning his preparation for this one. His team looked rather ordinary at the end and were not gracious in defeat. Still respect hard to come by.
9. Ricardo Clarke injury- sprained knee ligaments rules the vital cog out of the next game. I will talk more about this but Clarke needs two players to replace him in this role…..see what I’m getting at?
10. 13,000 fans show up on a re-scheduled date at 5pm, this is impressive. All involved are taking this to another level.
Keep the heat on the written press, radio, and tv and don’t be afraid to demand more coverage. Those at the top are slowly learning the value of diverse listeners, viewers and readers. Believe me being on the inside it has been a slow patient process but it makes us all appreciate it more.
Give me your feedback on my top ten, add some of your great moments and tell me who you want interviewed from the Dynamo this Tuesday on the Soccer Hour with Glenn Davis. GlennDavis@thesoccerhour.com