MLS Power Rankings heading into this weekend:
1. DC United: Tied KC last weekend with stomach problems effecting team. Concern over Josh Gros head injuries.
Without Jaime Moreno tonite who is with Bolivia in WCup qualifying. A win or a draw and they win the East and
home field advantage.
2. Chivas USA: Lost two points on Thursday in 0-0 draw against FC Dallas but lost even more with Ante Razov who could be out 4-6 weeks. Maykel Galindo also has groin problems which exposes their lack of depth up front.
3. Houston Dynamo: After scoring ten goals in three games Dynamo produced a dud in front of 30,000 fans their largest crowd of the season losing to the Galaxy 2-1. How will Ricardo Clark suspension effect them. Must find their game on Monday against Real Salt Lake . Health still an underlying issue.
4. Chicago Fire: Their record of 5-3-5 since the arrival of “Temoc’ and Juan Carlos Osorio their new head coach. Fire with a result tonite at DC would be playoff bound. Huge win over NE last weekend.
5. LA Galaxy: Four straight wins under Frank Yallop with a cast of characters that look like Houston City Council (just kidding). Some like Josh Tudela and Mike Randolph may have never seen the field if not for injury and have taken advantage of their opportunity. With Landon Donovan anything can happen. David Beckham could play in final game of the year.
6. NE Revolution: Steve Nicol’s squad needs to find it’s mojo heading into the playoffs and have faded in it’s chance to win Eastern Conference. A Lamar Hunt US Open Cup title should only add to the insatiable appetite to win the MLS Cup where they have been three times as a bridesmaid.
7. FC Dallas: The only way that Denilson is not a bust if they go on an improbable playoff run. Arturo Alvarez is their most dangerous player and makes slightly less than the Brazilian great. Ruiz a step slower still seems intent on fouling people first and playing soccer second. Can he produce?
8. New York Red Bulls: Struggling as Bruce Arena and staff did not get the balance right. Who would have thought this team can’t step out on the field without Joe Vide and Dane Richards? Too many aging players and shuffling line-ups to make up for suspect player choices. Time for Claudio Reyna to earn his million or be remembered as the least impactful designated player.
Juan Pablo Angel would have 25 goals if on a better team. Pure class and doesn’t break a sweat.
9. Colorado Rapids: Somehow are still in it with a front office and ownership that doesn’t give a dam about competing for MLS titles or improving their producet. No focal point from a player standpoint. But hey, nice stadium.
10: Real Salt Lake: A few results and a new gm in Garth Lagerway. With a new stadium they have a bright future but can two “green” components in Jason Kreis and Lagerway turn things around? Lets hope so.
11: Kansas City Wizards: Leaking goals like crazy after a promising start under Curt Onalfo, scares me to have to put too much stock in talented Eddie Johnson who just doesn’t seem fully matured.
12: Columbus Crew: Sigi Schmid has had poor fortune and injuries but hey everybody has had injuries.
Still seeking a way to find out how to bring that “franchise” player to CBus.
13: Toronto FC- Blow up the blueprints, keep Maurice Edu, Jim Brennan, Marvell Wynn and a few others and start from scratch. Love affair with fans will end without a better on field product next year. The odd couple of coaching Mo Johnston and Bob Gansler remain ……interesting?